As a special treat for all my fellow addicts I'm going to share one of my favourite's with you:
Classic Dark Chocolate Ice-cream (serves 4-6)
4 egg yolks
3oz caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
½ pint Semi-skimmed milk
7oz Dark Chocolate
½ pint whipping cream
Shaved chocolate to decorate.
1 Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl until thick and foamy. Pour the milk into a saucepan, bring it just to the boil, and then gradually whisk it into the yolk mixture.
2. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens and is smooth. Take the pan off the heat.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and stir into the hot custard until it has melted. Leave to cool, then chill.
4. By Hand:
- Whip the cream until it has thickened but still falls from a spoon.
- Fold into the custard then pour into a plastic tub or similar freezer proof container. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm enough to scoop, beating once or twice with a fork or in a food processor.
Using Ice-cream Maker:
- Mix the chocolate custard with the whipping cream.
- Churn until firm enough to scoop.
5. Serve in scoops, decorated with chocolate shavings.
Taste Test: 10/10
Ease of Preparation: 9/10
Unfortunately I don’t have any nice pictures to show you; we ate it all!!!!
Incidentally, we used milk chocolate for this recipe with a teaspoon of extra Green and Blacks Organic Cocoa. Imagine what we'd be saying if we'd followed the recipe religiously?