Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Housewife Humbled

During this mornings ramble across the blogosphere I paid a little visit to The Humble Housewife and lo & behold found Vinca's-in-tha-Kitchen! on her blog links page! Thank you for that Deborah, I'm thrilled!!! Not only that but I also found a smashing blog; Ice-Cream Ireland dedicated to Ice-creammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...!

As a special treat for all my fellow addicts I'm going to share one of my favourite's with you:


Classic Dark Chocolate Ice-cream (serves 4-6)

Ingredients:

4 egg yolks

3oz caster sugar

1 tsp cornflour

½ pint Semi-skimmed milk

7oz Dark Chocolate

½ pint whipping cream

Shaved chocolate to decorate.

Method:

1 Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl until thick and foamy. Pour the milk into a saucepan, bring it just to the boil, and then gradually whisk it into the yolk mixture.

2. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens and is smooth. Take the pan off the heat.

3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and stir into the hot custard until it has melted. Leave to cool, then chill.

4. By Hand:

  • Whip the cream until it has thickened but still falls from a spoon.
  • Fold into the custard then pour into a plastic tub or similar freezer proof container. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm enough to scoop, beating once or twice with a fork or in a food processor.

Using Ice-cream Maker:

  • Mix the chocolate custard with the whipping cream.
  • Churn until firm enough to scoop.

5. Serve in scoops, decorated with chocolate shavings.

I prefer to use the ice-cream maker as I am a lazy cook, and forgetful with it. However, I don’t make ice-cream very often for much the same reason! Not only that, but I suspect that it is jam packed with hundreds of calories and I really do have to watch what I eat; being 5’ 2” tall every pound shows and a diet of chocolate ice-cream for breakfast, dinner and tea would soon have some very serious consequences.

Taste Test: 10/10

Ease of Preparation: 9/10

Unfortunately I don’t have any nice pictures to show you; we ate it all!!!!

Incidentally, we used milk chocolate for this recipe with a teaspoon of extra Green and Blacks Organic Cocoa. Imagine what we'd be saying if we'd followed the recipe religiously?


Polly Px

No comments: