Friday, April 25, 2008

Favour Polly...


The past few days have been very interesting, with a number of great things coming to light. For example Rebecca posted about the Interactive Food Map of Ireland which Paul O Mahony of Siopa Eile has recently launched. See the badge in my sidebar? Click on that and it should bring you right to it at any time you choose; in fact, maybe you'd like to follow my example and post it on your own blog or website. I called over to investigate and ended up adding a few of my own favourite suppliers to it...

You may remember that one day last week I mentioned that I received an e-mail from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall; well, I'm going to go one step further and introduce you ChickenOut TV. Here you can find details of how you can be an activist for this very important cause. According to Jean there is a similar organisation in France which works along similar lines...

Not only do chickens everywhere deserve to be able to run around freely and peck at the ground whenever they choose, freerange chickens taste better too! At one time before Mr Minky paid his catastrophic visit to my flock; I had a surplus of cockeral's which resulted in the wholesale rape and terrorising of my laying hen's.

As amusing as their antic's were; they had to be culled; which is where a chef friend of mine stepped in. In return for his services, he kept six of my very free-range cockeral's and we enjoyed the seventh with a fine red wine! Even though we converted there and then to free-range poultry, I've yet to taste anything quite as good...

I am delighted to say thanks to Deborah(check out point three of this article for her take on free range eggs); for introducing me to Glenisk.com. This award winning site is easy to use and provides lots of interesting information about their organic products and the environment generally. It is a real triumph for the Cleary family, from Killeigh, Co Offaly as their brand has become known nationwide.

As I come from the same area and remember when they started up I am very proud of this family and their achievements to date. I feel a sense of ownership, as I have been using their quality products since I was a kid; and that wasn't today or yesterday...

Check back soon for my quick Lamb Rhogan Josh recipe and so much more...

No comments: